Adam Hatherly Curriculum Vitae
An experienced senior enterprise and solution architect, with experience of designing large-scale enterprise applications,
as well as providing architectural governance and consultancy across a wide range of problem domains in both the private and public sector.
My current work as an enterprise architect allows me to support strategic development across all the large national systems in the NHS,
whilst ensuring that delivery of new systems and services align with architectural best-practice and support wider strategic objectives.
I bring a wealth of experience from my roles in the finance and health sectors, delivering large scalable enterprise solutions through
web and mobile channels, leveraging the latest cloud and big data techniques. I also have a strong focus on system integration and standards,
using messaging and ReSTful API approaches to implement service-oriented solutions that are flexible and support agility and innovation.
Health and Social Care Information Centre
Sep 2014 - Present
- Developing an enterprise architecture practice within HSCIC as part of a small central architecture team.
- Leading the development of policies across a range of cross-cutting areas including development, service management, networks, technology selection, usability, and many more, including establishing and chairing SME groups in each area.
- Leading the development of tooling within HSCIC to support the EA practice, including a knowledge base, work tracking and planning tools, architectural modelling tools and collaboration tools - using an integrated blend of in-house and commercial tools.
- Shifting the culture within the organisation to gain buy-in to a more robust and repeatable way of delivering solutions, ensuring the project portfolio is delivering against wider corporate objectives.
- Providing valuable insights and recommendations into senior management to support the development of corporate strategy in-line with industry trends and government drivers.
- Led the development of an interoperability strategy to move the health and social care system away from its historical reliance on paper, and towards the vision of integrated digital health and care records.
- Leading the technical delivery of an open source middleware solution for the NHS as part of the CIAO project.
Oct 2011 - Sep 2014
Solution Architecture / Consultancy
- Engaging with a wide range of NHS organisations to understand local business priorities and targets, with a specific focus on using digital technology to support commissioning and provision of care for patients with long term conditions, and those approaching the end of their life.
- Providing consultancy and best practice, as well as technology "enablers" to help local teams overcome digital technology challenges. This includes guidance and standards in areas such as architectural design patterns, system integration, information governance, supplier engagement, non-functional design, etc.
Sep 2008 - Oct 2011
Senior Solutions Architect
- Technical design assurance of all supplier design deliverables as part of the CSC LSP (Local Solution Provider) contract, including contract negotiations for renewals and changes to the £3bn contract.
- Technical expert for systems delivered into all NHS care settings (GP, Acute Services, Community Services, Child Health, Prison Health, Ambulance, Theatres, Maternity).
- Architectural change/risk management, non-functional design assurance, co-ordinate the review of design documents with relevant parties within the NHS.
- Helping non-technical reviewers to understand the content of design documents so they are able to provide meaningful review comments, escalating significant issues and working closely with the supplier to agree pragmatic approaches where required.
GE Money UK
Sep 2002 - Sep 2008
Senior Technical Specialist
- Subject matter expert on e-Business and new accounts systems, providing retailer-branded store cards, credit cards and loans via systems running in retailer stores, GE call centres and on-line. I worked on design, development and testing for various large projects as well as providing technical consultancy for numerous other projects.
- Conceived, Designed and Developed the capability to add content management into several GE Money transactional web applications using an open-source content repository (Jackrabbit). This reduced the cost of rolling out new client brands in our web applications from £15k to approx. £1k per client brand.
- Technical Lead on eBusiness project to provide instant on-line credit decisions GE customers over the Internet. Managed a teams of developers in both India and Hungary to build and test the solution that communicated with an IBM mainframe back-end system. The project was delivered on-time and within budget and won a Mastercard award for "Best Use of Technology".
- Implemented tools and processes to incorporate continuous integration and code quality controls into the development process. Developed a long-term strategy to consolidate multiple GE web based systems by moving to a service-oriented architecture based on an in-house developed SOA framework.
- Acted as an employee representative during GE redundancy proceedings. Attended consultation meetings with employees and management to minimise the impact on employees while meeting business needs.
Jul 2000 - Aug 2002
- After graduating I worked for two years on GE's information management leadership programme, with four 6 month placements in various European GE businesses including GE Money in Leeds, GE Insurance Holdings in Ireland, Penske Logistics in the Netherlands and GE Capital Bank in Switzerland.
Skills & Qualities
- Good understanding of the challenges of very large scale integration projects, including the development of interoperability standards to facilitate data flows across systems from multiple suppliers and systems
- Experience of managing offshore development teams in India, China and Hungary
- Communication: Can communicate complex topics clearly, pitched at the right level for the audience
- Problem Solving: Enjoy taking on difficult problems and consistently come up with innovative solutions that fit with the business need
- Working directly with clients, potential clients and 3rd parties to agree technical solutions
- Strong understanding of key architectural principles such as Object Orientation, Service Orientation, Enterprise Integration, Application Design Patterns
- Experience using a wide range of technologies and tools - for example:
- Standards: HL7, CDA, XDS, ebXML, J2EE, W3C, XML/XSL/XSLT
- Development: Java, J2EE, Swing, Eclipse, WSAD, NetBeans, Ant, JUnit, HTTPUnit, Hudson, Anthill, PVCS, Subversion, Mercury Suite
- Servers: JBoss, Glassfish, WebSphere, Tomcat, Apache, Oracle, MySQL
- Frameworks: Spring, Hibernate, OpenESB
- Other: Linux administration, Bash Scripting, Jackrabbit
1997 - 2000
University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology
- BSc Computing Science (Hons) - First class degree awarded
1995 - 1997
Barnfield College, Luton, Bedfordshire
- BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studies - Distinction awarded
1992 - 1995
Harlington Upper School, Bedfordshire
- 10 GCSEs at Grade A-C; Five "A" grades including Maths and Science
Professional Membership and Certifications
- PEAF - Pragmatic Enterprise Architecture Framework, Certified Professional
- MongoDB Certified Developer Associate (Cert No:
- TOGAF 9 Certified Enterprise Architect
- Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for Java Platform Enterprise Edition Technology
- Member of the British Computer Society
- GE Six-Sigma "Green Belt" Quality Certified
- OpenESB and Glassfish Training
- Developing Enterprise Java Applications with Spring and Hibernate Training
- Sun Java Application Server Training
- Positive Influencing and Management Skills Courses
- GE Information Management Leadership Programme (IMLP)
- GE Six-Sigma "Black Belt" Quality Training
- GE Training on Financial Principles and Due Diligence
- GE Technical Training on Networking, Java, Oracle and Data Warehousing
Hobbies and Interests
- Building lego Raspberry Pi robots (blog)
- Reading, Concerts and Films